Thursday, June 17, 2010

strathmore, i will fight you on a waterfall

[update]

So I emailed them like "the new shit you sent me is wrong." This was a long back and forth with so I'm abbreviating a lot here but with some choice quotes:

First, I was talking to someone named "ann" then I was switched to "donald". Donald thought my name was "Andria", because Donald doesn't give a shit.

"Please remember the guidelines are just that guidelines and should not come into play in the final art."


Wait. What?!! No. The whole purpose of having ruled paper is that you don't have to worry about measuring for thirds/half panels. so already, i know I'm in trouble, this guy doesn't think where the third markers are is an important thing.

"It is impossible to tell the exact dimensions from your scan."


What!!!
"May I ask, do you resize your artwork for scanning and printing? We consulted with Marvel and DC artists along with the Center for Cartoon Studies when we laid the sheets out. Most of them do not use blue lined sheets except in commercial work. They resize their personal work so they prefer to use unlined sheets and will resize at their computer."


What. I don't even...what...

Marvel and DC artists use ruled paper. They...yes they do, what the fuck are you talking about. in fact, DC and Marvel MAKE THEIR OWN RULED PAPER WITH THEIR LOGO ON IT.
this this this

WHAT. It's a scan so yes, it's SHRUNKEN DOWN but I don't like... randomly transform half the page so that it's all fucked up. Furthermore, I'm just scanning it to SHOW HIM what I am seeing when I take a ruler to the page! I'm not just looking at a scan on a computer screen! He also sent me .pdf showing what their layout is for the page, and is all "well the layout is correct and the scan you sent matched the layout" (what he means by 'match' is that the logo is at the top, they had an older run of paper that had the logo at the bottom and was wrong). WHAT. I don't give a shit if your layout ON THE COMPUTER is correct, I want the physical paper to be correct!! THE PAPER, BITCH!

Ok, so at this point I realized I was speaking to someone that really doesn't know what they're talking about and can't even form words enough to talk to me about this sensibly. And he's like "we'll send you some unlined paper so you can rule it however you want" like, fuck you buddy! I bought this so I wouldn't have to figure out where the half and thirds marks are! YOU MADE THE PRODUCT! Don't tell me that a product YOU MADE has no real point, are you insane?! So then I sent him a giant email going "I do not want anymore paper from you, DO NOT send me any more paper" and links to REAL comic pages with the logos at the top, etc. Hopefully he doesn't even reply back to me because I'm blown away at how fucking stupid this is.

Moral of the story: do not buy Strathmore ruled pages. Ever. They are too lazy to USE A RULER and physically check the paper coming out of their printers.

**note that while I'm full of rage and cursing in this post, my replies to this idiot were nothing but patient and nice, I even had kristen run it through her unbitchifying filter before I sent my responses! only my last email going "WHAT" was just angry and not rude.

Read the original post after the link




Last time, on  Strathmocalypse Showdown: 

Oh my God.

Ok, hi. You might have noticed that me and interpunkt are doing a comic.

What you might not know is that our comics are drawn on paper. Comic book paper.

S.T.O.P. was drawn on Canson's pre lined comic book paper (this brand, that makes me angry because it's called "fanboy" and has the worst art ever on its packaging blahblah) . For Minor Acts of Heroism, for reasons I won't go into because they're fucking boring, we switched to Strathmore (the 200 series). You're probably going "yeah, Strathmore, I've heard of them, they make good paper, and that's what Blue Line Pro is, isn't it?" Yes, exactly, person I'm pretending I'm talking to. Exactly. If there's a trusted name in paper, it's probably Strathmore.

When you get comic book boards, they're usually lined (unless you're a person that lines your own stuff). That means they're printed with guides that help you divide the paper in half and thirds, etc, shows you where the bleed area is, blahblah.

So last month I got a pack of paper from the art store and brought it home and used it blahblah and interpunk is like "hey...this paper is super different from my pack..." and it turned out that the paper's markers were extremely way off. How off, you ask?

this much:

So I sent Strathmore an email going "dudes, your shit is all wrong" and they were like "whoa, we're sorry" and sent me a new pack.

The new pack is also wrong. Wrong in a different way than the example above. I only realized in the middle of doing a page that utilized the "third" markers very heavily.


I am not a genius of math, I'm actually a moron of math. But that's cool. It's not my job to divide measurements and use a lot of rulers (although sometimes I have to and it hurts me). But at Strathmore, it's literally someone's job to divide the paper CORRECTLY. That is someone's job. Strathmore probably had a god damn team on it. Actually, they DID have a team on it.

When I sent them an email and the sent me another pack? part of what they replied with was:
"We discovered this issue earlier this year and found that the issue went back to an early printing. Based upon our digging into the issue of the markings we made adjustments to the layout based upon input from several comic artists."

What. WHAT. You had a BUNCH of people, including input from comic artists on this paper and it's still wrong? Strathmore, you make paper. Part of making that paper is utilizing what is called a "ruler". I assume you have AT LEAST one ruler in your possession. Perhaps you ONLY have one and someone was using that ONE Strathmore ruler to prop up an end table? I don't know!

What's MORE crazy?? BLUE LINE PRO USES STRATHMORE'S PAPER. JUST... fucking... TRACE THE BLUE LINE PRO GUIDES. YOU KNOW A COMPANY THAT DOES THIS AND HAS RULED VERSIONS OF YOUR PAPER!!! Someone YOU KNOW already did the impossible math work for you!!

I...I'm going to drink this beer now, and try to figure out how to deal with the next page, but I thought I should warn you guys. This paper is super cheap (compared to bluelinepro) so I know a lot of you might use it so I thought I'd give you a heads up.

No comments: